A course is a type of training that can be comprised of multiple lectures, events, on-the-job trainings, and/or polls. Based on how you set them up you can have different course functionalities to fit your needs!
Who can Create a Course
Users with Admin rights, Training Managers, and users with the Create Course permission enabled can create courses in their academy.
Please note that Training Managers should be allowed from the Academy Settings in order to be able to create Courses. Read more on the Learning Management settings: Learning Management Academy Settings
Now let's check in more detail how you can create a Course and what options you have!
Creating a Course
If you have the ability to create a course, the procedure is quite easy. Hover over Training in your academy navigation bar, click on Courses and then Create Course.
Once you do so, you will be redirected to the Edit Course page where you will be able to set up your Course's settings!
1. First up, there are some basic settings you need to define for your course. You can give your course a Title, a Description and select if the Ownership of the course you are creating will be under you or your Academy. You also have the option to add any system requirements or some tags so you may find your course easier!
2. You need to select which Training Category(s) this Course will be under.
3. You can select a Level and a Language for your Course. Please note that the default language is English.
4. You have the option to add an estimated duration for your course in order to inform the users about the estimated time that they will need to spend on this course (this field will be displayed on the course's About page).
Please note that when an Admin/Manager marks a course (or curriculum and courses) as completed, the courses' completion time will be prefilled/saved with the course estimated duration, if any.
5. You can select if you want this course to award a Certificate. If you select "No" then no certificate will be awarded to the users that complete this course. If you select "Yes" then a certificate will be awarded to the users.
6. If you selected to award a certificate to the users who complete this course, then you have the option to define the Certificate Expiration Settings to match your needs.
You can read more on Certificate Expiration Settings here: How can I define the Certificate Expiration Settings for my Academy Courses?
7. It's time to choose if you want additional optional data including course hours and instructor's name to be printed on course certificate reports:
8. You can select if your users will be able to take this course after completing it, using the Multiple completions are allowed setting. By enabling this setting, a user who completed a course, will not be able to access the course steps if he/she doesn't click on the Retake button. Once he/she clicks on the retake button, the course progress will be reset to 0% and the completion will be transferred to the "Past Completions" block (Employees' Dashboard).
9. You can define if your users will be able to access this course after they miss their due date, using the Lock course if user misses the due date setting. By enabling this, if a user does not complete the coursework by the due date, the course will be locked for them and they will not be able to access it until an admin/manager unlocks it for them.
In case a course has been locked for a user, you, as an Admin/ Manager will be able to identify the course by the "Locked" indication next to the course title, under the Employees dashboard. Please note that the change of this setting doesn't work retroactively.
10. Fill in any Custom Attributes you may have for your Courses and select if they will be displayed on the users' certificates.
11. You can select to set your course as a compliance course. Read more: How can I manage my Academy's Compliance Courses?
12. Select if your Course will have a Discussion Board and/or if the Users will have the option to review and rate your course.
Please note that Admins are able to delete individual ratings and reviews from a course in order to avoid having inappropriate user-generated content.
13. Select if any of your academy members will need approval in order to self-enroll in this course. Just enable the Self-Enrollment Approval setting and select the organizational criteria these users meet. Read more: Self-Enrollment Approval
14. Choose what should happen with the course progress if the course is a part of a curriculum and a user is obliged to retake this curriculum. Should the course progress remain unaffected?
15. You can add Credits to your Course if your Admin has set them up for your Academy. Just select the Credit type, add a number of credits the users should receive upon the course completion, and check if these credits should be visible on users' certificates.
Don't forget to click Save when finished!
Adding Content / Lectures
As soon as you click Save, your course will be created and you will then be ready to both add content and lectures to it, before publishing it to your employees. Read more: How can I add lectures to a course?
Publishing your Course
By default, your course is in private and assign-only mode. To make your course visible either to your employees only or both to your employees and external members, you have to publish it by clicking the "Private" button.
Please note that in general, the set of courses that is available to users is primarily defined by the Categories that they have access to. So if a course is Public but in a category where your users do not have access to, they still wont be able to see in unless they are assigned to it.
Please note that your course needs at least one visible lecture to be published.
Read more: What settings of my Courses can I control?