In Schoox, you can set rules for courses/curricula to be automatically assigned to users.
You can create rules per job position, based on units or above units, or combine criteria to create more advanced assignment rules to meet your training needs.
The process is pretty much the same when creating a rule for Courses or Curricula.
To assign a course to users, select Manage Course under the course of your preference. From the left side menu, under Students select Assignment. From the top panel, click on Advanced Assignment.
Let's take a closer look at different scenarios of the advanced assignment.
1. Assign a course to a group of people based on their job and location
You can assign a course to one or more groups of people based on their job, unit, or above unit. You can set an assignment rule to assign the course to future employees automatically.
Under Advanced Assignment, select the specific job(s) to which this assignment is associated.
Then, select the desired Above Units and Units in their respective columns, filtering using the drop-down menus, if needed.
If you want to select users that are directly associated with an above unit, you need to select the above unit required. In case you need to select users associated directly with the unit, you need to select the unit.
You can also filter the users based on custom fields that you have set up for your Academy. If the custom attribute you select is of date type then you have two options:
1) Apply rule on selected date in [user] record: This option will allow you to assign the training in question on a future date indicated in the date field attached to each user. If this option is selected then for users with a future date on this attribute the rule will be applied on that date. Please note that the user's date should be within the given timeframe for them to be assigned. If this option is selected then:
- If the user has a past date or today’s date on their date field, they will be assigned immediately.
- If the user has a future date on their date field, they will be assigned on the date indicated by the field.
2) Apply rule when [user] record is created: If this option is selected then for users with a future date on this attribute the rule will be applied now. With this option, all users whose attribute is within the given timeframe will be assigned the moment they match the rule.
Please note the Hiring Date and Academy Joined Date fields cannot be used with an automated assignment rule.
You have the option of using an extra filter in order to assign the course only to members who have a specific language set as a preferred Content language.
The number of individuals that match the criteria will appear below.
Moreover, you have the choice of either assigning this course to this group this one time and/or setting up a rule that will automatically assign individuals under these parameters in the future.
Check Automated Assignment Rule to make this assignment a rule for future hires.
Check Exclude existing academy members if you ONLY want this to pertain to future members, as opposed to assigning it now.
Once you check this you can also define from what date and before you need to exclude members. The default one is today's date. All users that join the Academy after that date will be considered as new hires for this rule.
If you have the "Exclude existing academy members" option checked, you will also be able to decide if you want the assignment rule to include any possible reactivations. Just click the Include Reactivations checkbox.
Please note that if Include Reactivations is checked, then all users who are reactivated after the new hire date (which is designated on the Exclude Academy members setting) will be caught by the rule.
The Unassign when criteria are not met anymore checkbox gives you the option to define if courses assigned to users from that rule, should be unassigned from them once they lose their job/ (Above) Units/ Custom fields and they do not meet the criteria anymore. If this option is checked, the users that do not meet the rule's criteria will be unassigned from courses that they haven't completed yet.
If you want to bypass global notifications settings for course/curricula, and
- send a notification for a specific assignment, although no notification should be sent out based on the global settings OR
- not send a notification for a specific assignment, although a notification should be sent out based on the global settings
you can do so by checking/ not checking off the relevant checkbox shown in the screenshot above.
Last but not least, you have the option to set a Rule Start date and a Rule Expiration date per auto-assignment rule which will define until when the rule should be active.
Before finishing the process you have the option to add a due date for this training.
Note: If you add a specific date as a due date, the same date will be copied and locked at the Rule Expiration Date field. Once the date is reached the automated rule will expire.
Please note that once you add value for the due date field, you will be able to see an extra checkbox “Unassign users once due date is missed''. Once selected, each user who is included in this assignment should be automatically unassigned from the course once the due date passes.
If you select the “Unassign users once due date is missed'', another checkbox will appear, which if selected will auto-unassign the users as soon as they reach their due date, regardless of their completion or certificate’s expiration.
For the final step, note that while setting up your new rule for your academy, excluding the future members (Exclude existing academy members option is unchecked), you have the option to perform two different actions:
- Assign now: Direct assignment to the users that meet the rule's criteria at the time that the rule is being created
- Set rule: Rule's creation
Please note that if the Assign now is not checked, the existing users will not be assigned at the time the rule is created, but will be assigned moving forward, if a change is made to their account in the future and they still match the rule's criteria.
Select your preferred setup and don't forget to click Set Rule!
2. Create Combo-assignment rules
You have the option to combine specific assignment rules in order to assign a course to individuals that belong to more than one group, to exclude users who belong to a specific group, etc. for more information, please check the following article: How to combine assignment rules?
Please make sure to read also: What will happen if I edit an existing auto-assignment rule?