When a new employee starts working, assign training and managing the workflow can be a difficult thing to do. Onboarding module in Schoox allows administrators to design the training schedule for all new employees as well as for employees that changed jobs in the company.
Onboarding allows administrators to design and execute the training process as well as monitor the employees’ progress. Moreover, users with managerial jobs with Reporting permission enabled have now access to the Onboarding Dashboard in order to be able to track the progress of the users under their org structure.
The first thing that is required to do is create a new onboarding profile. To do so, you, as an Admin of the academy, must go to the Admin panel by clicking on the Admin tab on the top menu.
Then select the Onboardings tab from the left panel and click on the Onboarding Profiles sub tab.
* Please note that you have the option to create Onboarding Templates! Read paragraph "3. Create Onboarding Template" below for more information.
In the new page you can start building the new onboarding profile or check for any existing profiles.
1. Create Onboarding Profile
In order to create a new onboarding profile, the Admin needs to select the job, the above units, and the units that the new onboarding profile should be applied to when executed.
1. First, click the Select button and a popup window will appear allowing to select the job(s), the above units, and the units.
2. Enter the Profile Name
3. Select the time unit. It can be either days or weeks.
4. Set the duration. If you have chosen days as a time unit and the duration is 5 this means that the employees will receive a training plan for 5 days where you will be able to set training per day. If the time units are weeks then a duration of 5 will imply that the training will last for 5 weeks and training can be set per week.
5. Select whether the onboarding profile will be applied to new Academy Members or to employees that have a job change. Υou can set the user joined date so that the profile will be applied to the new academy members based on the selected date.
Please note that the number of days that an academy member is considered as new should be configured at the related advanced setting.
As an example, if you have defined that a user is considered as a new academy member for 5 days and if you enable a profile that takes into account the academy members added since Today, the profile will be also assigned to users who were added to the academy 5 days before the activation of the profile.
- You have the option to set up an Onboarding plan with future dates (e.g. Employees added from 01/01/2022). However, these plans will be always off until the selected date comes.
6. Click on the Create button to have the new profile created.
2. Manage the Onboarding Profile
Once the new profile is created it will appear in the list of all onboarding profiles. It is inactive as the admin needs to activate it once the training is scheduled in the profile. The following image presents what the new profile looks like on the list.
The Admin can click on the:
- Open button to start creating the training plan
- Edit button to edit the profile’s parameters
- Delete button to delete the profile
- On/Off switch to activate or deactivate the profile
Clicking the Open button will expand the days or weeks to set training for each one. It depends on the time units set and the duration you entered while creating the profile.
The profile in this example has a duration of 7 days, so once clicking the “Open” button the Plan will expand starting on Day 1 till Day 8.
The admin can click on the + sign under each Day Number to select the training that will be set for this day. So, if the admin clicks the + sign under Day 1, 4 different options will be presented.
1. Add Course
Clicking the Add Course option will allow the admin to set the duration for the course training and then select the course. The courses can be filtered based on Jobs or Skills as long as the correlation has been set in the Skill Management Module.
Once a course is selected, a Save button will appear and the admin will be able to add the course in the day selected.
A new line will be created under the Days plan with the new course and its duration. The admin will be able to modify the course by clicking on the icon as presented below:
2. Add Curriculum
Clicking the Add Curriculum option will allow the admin to set the duration for the curriculum training and then select the Curriculum. Once a curriculum is selected, a Save button will appear and the admin will be able to add the Curriculum in the day selected.
A new line will be created under the Days plan with the new Curriculum and its duration. The admin will be able to modify the Curriculum by clicking on the icon as presented below:
3. Add Message
Clicking the Add Message option will allow the admin to set a message that will be delivered via email to the employee. The admin is able to set the day (or week) that the message will be sent, the body of the message and who will be the sender of the email.
The "Sender" dropdown list is populated with the role of the Admin as well as the roles of the Managers that:
- are directly associated with the users included in the onboarding profile and
- have the Send Announcement permission enabled
4. Add Assessment
Clicking the Add Assessment option will allow the admin to set the skills that need to be assessed the day (or week) selected. The admin will select the skills (it is required to have the skills created in the Skills Management Module) to be assessed and then select the assessor. The Heads of the Above Units that have permission to Assess Employees Performance will be presented in the list. When the onboarding criteria are met the user will have to be assessed on the given day on the skillset that is set in the onboarding profile.
Once the Training plan for the onboarding profile has been designed, the admin can activate the profile. All current employees that need to be assigned to the training will be included in the profile.
3. Creating Onboarding Template
For some industries, specific jobs require the same onboarding experience. Onboarding Profile Templates can be used to establish baseline onboarding experiences to save time and ensure a consistent plan is delivered.
The process is just the same as setting up a simple Onboarding Profile! Go to the Admin panel by clicking on the Admin tab on the top menu, select the Onboardings tab from the left panel and click on the Onboarding Templates sub-tab.
Set up your Onboarding template based on the steps described previously and click on the Convert to Profile button if you want to make this template an active Profile!
Important Note: The new Profile will be created under the Onboarding Profiles sub-tab. Please make sure to activate the profile!
The next time that you will need to create a similar profile, you do not have to create it from scratch. Just edit the existing template accordingly and hit Convert to Profile!
Read also: Monitoring the Onboarding process