Creating courses in Schoox is very easy!!
1. Introduction: A few words about courses in Schoox
Courses can consist of as many lectures as you want. You can use video files, powerpoint presentations (ppt, pptx), documents (doc, docx, pdf) or even SCORM packages (SCORM 1.2). You can also use web content like YouTube, Vimeo or TED videos, slideshare presentations or any web page. For the most popular content sites like YouTube, Vimeo and Slideshare we keep full track of the learner's progress, and provide the instructor with analytic data about the behavior of the learner in the lecture.
2. Getting Started: Creating your Corporate Online Course
The easiest way to start creating an academy course is to click on the big Create Course button on your Academy's My Courses page under Training.
Tip: You can find the Create Course button on all pages that have courses in Schoox (e.g. your personal course page, public course page, etc). When you click the Create Course button you will be driven to Edit Info the page, where you then can give basic info about your course.
Through this page you have the option to do the following:
- Define the Course-title and Description
- Select the Academy Course category
- Set a Certificate Expiration Period, if you want to:
You can select if the Certificate expiration period is set upon the Enrollment or the Completion date.
(Please note that the Certificate expiration period counts always from the day of completion. However, when the expiration period at the date of enrollment is A months and before the user completes the course you edit it to B months you can choose from this setting what the certificate expiration period will be for this user. It can be either A (i.e. value at the enrollment date) or B -i.e. value at the completion date.)
- Multiple completions are allowed: By enabling this setting, a user who completed a course, will not be able to access the course steps if he/she doesn't click on the Retake button. Once he/she clicks on the retake button, the course progress will be reset to 0% and the completion will be transferred to the "Past Completions" block (Employees' Dashboard).
- Add a Course Estimated duration in order to inform the users about the estimated time that they will spend for this course (this field will be displayed on the course's About page)
- Award Certificate upon completion of the course: You can decide whether you want a certificate to be awarded or not upon course completion
- Reassign course before the certification expires
- Select if your Course will have a Discussion Board and/or if the Users will have the option to review and rate your course
- Self-enrollment approval: You, as an admin/training manager/course-creator/instructor can setup target groups that need approval when they self-enroll to that course. (Read also: Self-Enrollment Approval)
- Choose what should happen with the course progress if the course is a part of a curriculum and a user is obliged to retake this curriculum. Should the course progress remain unaffected?
- If you are an Academy professional instructor, you can set a price for the course on this page. If not you can ask your Admin to give you this authority.
- If you have the authorization to create courses for an Academy, you will be given the option to decide about the ownership of the course. Once you have chosen the ownership and saved, this cannot be undone. The course will be connected permanently with your Academy.
- When you connect a course with your Academy, the logo of the course will appear on the Course Card.
- By activating the "Reassign course before certification expires" setting, a course with a Certificate Expiration Period can be reassigned a given number of days before the certificate's expiration date. Once the course is reassigned, the due date for the user will be set to the existing certificate expiration date. When users complete the course the previous certificate will automatically expire and a new one will be awarded.
- If the user will be re-assigned with a course prior to the expiration date of the relevant certificate, two progress bars will be available under Employees Dashboard> Courses tab and they will reflect:
- The completion that is related to the active course certificate
- The current progress, after the re-assignment
Once the certificate expires, only the current progress will be shown.
3. Adding Content / Lectures
As soon as you click Save, the system creates your online course. You are then ready to both add content and invite people to enroll. See topic "How can I add lectures to a course".
4. Publishing your Course
By default your course is in private and invite only mode. To make your course visible either to the entire community or to a certain group of people (the latter is only for Academy courses) you have to publish it by clicking the "Private" button.
- Your course needs at least one visible lecture to be published.
- If you choose to connect a course with an Academy, the Academy will become the owner of the course and reserves all the rights. If you leave the Academy for any reason the course will be disconnected from you as an instructor and will be assigned to another corporate member of this Academy.